A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Everyday Ardor

On a bench in Boston Common
a stranger, brown-papered whiskey bottle in hand,
told me to fall in love every chance I get
I was desenchanted 'til I realized what he meant

So I fell in love

with the grocery cashier
who shyly eyed me under thick glasses, carefully packed my bags.
with that boy from my class
the one with sunstreaked hair and careful comments of Monet.
with the gentle faced stranger on the street
her sleepy eyes and ready smile.

and I'm falling in love with you.
You, who considers my words
Who curls your tongue around my rough words
Who fingers my pages
A romantic
A cynic
A critic

You who never let yourself believe
Love is so simple, humanly possible and uncomplicated.
It occurs with the ease of puffed breath
quicker than a skeptic can cough.

- Noelle Hartbarger

I found this in a friend's Facebook page. I'm putting it here so it will spread the way a forest fire does, wind-carried glowing embers raining down on too-dry grass patches.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Lowrance said...

I don't read enough poetry these days.

9/07/2007 08:57:00 AM  
Blogger Heidi Noelle Hartbarger said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7/08/2016 01:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home