A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Why do I do this to myself?


I'm now hopelessly behind on my reading. Just a few days after buying the complete Sherlock Holmes, I get the complete Edgar Allan Poe. I've always bought books faster than I could read them, but never in such sheer volume. Sometimes I can impress even me.

This 800-page collection of tiny print and disastrous words only ran me 8 bucks, which I have to admit is the real reason it was bought. A Poe fan I am, but a broke man I am as well. But I'm also happy with the literary timing of my purchase. I posed the question, where should I start with my Sherlock Holmes collection? After buying this one, it occurred to me that I wasn't asking deep enough.

It's not uncommon knowledge that Poe invented the fictional detective, making him the grandfather to Holmes, of sorts. I know this. I do not, however, have any damn idea what it means. So, before cracking open any Holmes case, I have some investigating to do. Cheerio.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brook Taylor said...

I'm glad someone else has this problem...I always buy way more books that I'll ever have time to read.

...including the Poe collection.

10/23/2006 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger Joe Killian said...

People credit Poe with creating the detective story because of his Auguste Dupin stories - "The Murder In The Rue Morgue," "Mystery of Marie Roget" and "The Purloined Letter."

I don't know that he really invented the genre, but he gets points for popularizing the recurring detective.

Throughout the Holmes stories and novels - starting with "A Study In Scarlet" when Watson first compares him to Dupin, Holmes hates the comparison. While I like the Dupin stories as far as they go I have to agree that Holmes is more impressive.

I vote, as I think Chris did, for starting with the beginning of the Holmes cannon.

10/23/2006 09:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home