A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

One step closer


I have it. It's mine. Every Sherlock Holmes tale that Doyle put on paper is sitting leather-bound on the corner of my bed. It even has the ribbon coming out of the spine I can use to mark my place, something I associate with the Bible or encyclopedias -- books you should read in the sense that it contains neccesary information.

It's comforting and threatening at the same time. I have them all, but now I have to read them all. 1100 pages of elementary, my dear Watson. Where do I start? Cherry-pick or forge from the beginning?

It's rare that I can commit to any book for long. Only Sedaris or Palahniuk have been able to capture me sufficiently. Yesterday I spent an hour reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland after I realized I was halfway through it; Alice has just met up with the Cheshire Cat. Then I got distracted and attacked The Stranger by Camus, which has the details in all the wrong places. I'm 50 pages into Atonement, and it is now sitting atop half a dozen other books I've given the same amount of attention.

This one will look good on my bookshelf at least. Hopefully it won't end up being just used for aesthetic purposes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe Killian said...

Dude - I have an old two volume version of the complete stories/novels with footnotes and essays that's been in my "donate/give away" pile for like a year now, as I got a newer version.

I had no idea you wanted one...

10/18/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Luke McIntyre said...

This thing is beautiful. Unique. It can't do wrong. Like a child to its parent. There is no other for me.

Yeah, I'm a bibliophile.

10/18/2006 05:50:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Lowrance said...

Start from the begining. Personally, I enjoy the Pre-Return stories more, so if you crap out you still get some of the best.

10/18/2006 11:01:00 PM  
Blogger Joe Killian said...

WHen you've finished the cannon I highly recommend "The Seven Percent Solution" and the novels by Larry Millet.

A lot of crap out there - but those are good stuff.

10/19/2006 06:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home