A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Does anyone even watch SNL anymore?

So video evidence that SNL uses canned applause and laughter is floating about the net, which seems to violate everything about SNL being live. This doesn't really bother me. It's TV, and TV is lies.

What bothers me is that SNL is still on the air. No one, not a single person I know, still watches the show. I've asked around. I called people. Nobody.

At what point does Lorne say, "Well, we had a good run. Time to call it a night."? Can we go ahead and shoot this old yellow dog?

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe Killian said...

Actually, SNL still does well ratings-wise.

It's important to remember that they don't have to put up the numbers of, say, a Grey's Anatomy or American Idol to be a success. They just have to crush whatever's happening late-night on Saturdays.

According to Neilsen Media, they're still doing that. The latest figures:

NBC's "Saturday Night Live"(5.3/13).
FOX's "Mad TV" (2.2/5)
"Talkshow With Spike Feresten"
(1.3/3)

I don't know people who watch SNL either - but they're out there. In the millions. This column had me thinking, recently, about how this happens - how I could know no one who will admit to liking Kid Rock but he still sells millions of records. Well...I don't really have a lot in common with people who would dig that, so of course I don't know anyone. Are we buddies with the type of people who would think SNL is funny these days? I think not...

But the show's still profitable and, with its history and bankability, NBC's not pulling any plugs.

10/31/2006 06:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Kid Rock. Wait, wait, no I don't.

11/01/2006 08:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home