A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

An Ode to Teachers



I'm won over. If this whole writing thing falls through and I find myself in a teaching position - much like the main character in my favorite novel, Sideways, only hopefully minus the alcoholism and self-loathing - I don't think would be such a bad thing. We tend to look at teaching as a profession the way we do because we remember the majority of teachers who didn't care, not the ones who did and make it count.

The other day I finally found the address of my middle school English teacher, Ms. Dennis. She taught the advanced English class I was in all three years of middle school, and I trace this whole writing thing back to her. Every writing assignment or lesson in essay structure we had high school seemed beneath the level Ms. Dennis pushed us to years earlier. Middle school is the last time I remember ever struggling with writing in the technical sense.

The year after we left her class I started my first blog. Eventually I ended up here. Still blogging when I should be doing other things. Actually get paid a little bit for some of my writing.

I'm halfway through a letter to my old teacher. I've heard teachers like getting letters from past students, though I'm not sure if I'm expecting a response. The knowledge that I sent the letter is all I really want. But, if I could choose, I'd like to get my letter sent back to me "Return to Sender" style, covered in red ink marks. One last C+, another essay that could have been better. And maybe one of those scratch-n-sniff stickers that smell like grape.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see it only took some decent poetry and an address to a former teacher to spark that.

Teachers do make a difference. We are not just baby-sitters, here to play games and pass the time until parents get home. But, with every occupation, there are those who see the job as a paycheck, and those who see the job as a form of social change. "If I can just change the life of one student for the better, well, I passed as a teacher."

Remember- "Everyone who is anyone was once taught by a teacher."

-Peavey

1/27/2007 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How kind of you to remember your English teacher. And as an English teacher for many years your insightful comment on an earlier post was excellent.

Not only does the story have legs, it's running its ass off. I really didn't expect the "those three kids attacked the at least five and possibly 15 football players" defense. I'm interested to see how that plays out.

1/27/2007 05:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home