A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Friday, December 08, 2006

I wish it would snow

From Joey Comeau's blog -- It snowed. I don't have any snow boots. With snow boots, you can't run and slide in the slush. I like to run as fast as I can and slide on my feet. I like to see cars spin and crumple against lamp posts. I hope nobody gets hurt. I hope nobody ever gets hurt. Everybody's going to die anyway. I like to watch metal crumple and I like to see it after it has. I've been in car accidents in the snow. You spin and spin and crunch - you hit. Afterwards, you're glad to be alive. The cost doesn't matter, not in those few wonderful moments. You're glad to be alive, and if there was a man taking money and selling tickets, you would go again and again.

EDIT: Great new comic at A Softer World.

These are the kind of entries that blogs are made for. Short thoughts, tiny little essays that couldn't belong anywhere else. It's one of the things I like about blogging, but more one of the things I like about reading other people's blogs. The story the above entry reminded me of was going to be one of those short thoughts. Instead it spun into a much longer yarn, and it's going in the novel. That's another thing I like about blogging. It gives me another excuse to write. And sometimes with writing, you never know what's going to happen.

Short aside: So NaNoWriMo came and went, and I'm left without a complete novel. I did start, but didn't come close to finishing on time. Writing a novel right before exams was a masochistic goal anyway.

Time management, or the simple lack of time, isn't the reason I stopped. It's the reason I would have failed anyway, but I stopped sometime in mid-November much before the actual deadline. A very odd moment came up during an argument between two of my characters that I can't fully explain without giving away the story (don't you just hate that). In a fury of typing, one person asked my main character a question about himself for which I had no answer. My mind drew a blank; I had nothing. I saved my Word file and closed my laptop, and I haven't looked at it since.

I've never written fiction to that degree, and it was some of the most fun I've had writing. The novel will be completed in some form.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe Killian said...

I've tried to write a novel twice.

I got a little over 200 pages into one about growing up and disillusionment and boxing and then realized it was crap and got rid of the whole thing.

Then I tried to do it for NANOWRIMO one year, trying to write a pulp novel. I too found that it falling just before exams broke my back. Never really finished it to my satisfaction.

12/08/2006 09:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home