A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Score one for the motherland

THE SUN -- The break-up of the United Kingdom became a stark possibility last night as thousands of English and Scottish voters demanded home rule. Most people on both sides of the border want their countries to “divorce” after almost 300 years together, according to a poll.

It showed that more than half of Scots and three out of five English folk want the two countries to go it alone. And thousands more want breakaway governments for Wales and Northern Ireland, too.


I'm no populist, but in the fake words of fake William Wallace, "Go back to England and tell them there that Scotland's daughters and sons are yours no more. Tell them Scotland is free."

Scotland not being part of the UK is the only thing that could possibly make me want to go there more.

7 Comments:

Blogger MHC said...

Personally, I think this is horrible, lol. As a person with a proud history of British (as well as Dutch) heritage, I have to say that the United Kingdom needs to keep its hold on Scotland and all the other territories there. They need to get over it... They lost the battles and wars. lol

Now... If they were as cool as us Americans and actually won their wars for freedom, then that would be a different story then.

(um... sarcasm by the way, lol)

11/27/2006 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Actually, England and Scotland joined via treaty, not war. The Acts of Union were passed respectively by the Parliament of England and Parliament of Scotland in 1706 and 1707. Not to say that all Scots were happy about it, but it wasn't a violent acquisition on the part of England.

(I know you were being sarcastic, but still...)

11/27/2006 09:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wasn't it violent? Wasn't King James Catholic? Weren't W&M protestant? Didn't the overthrow lead to religious persecution of Catholics (still present to today)? Didn't Catholics die in Ireland and Scotland, fighting against this?

Using your logic, the Japanese peacefully ceded WWII. V-J was a peaceful day where governments signed treaties. You would overlook the atomic bombs or firebombing of Tokyo, etc.

(I know you were just reading the last paragraph from your 8th grade world history book, but still....)

11/28/2006 01:39:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Actually, I got my information doing research for a 26 page paper on Scottish nationalism. Asshole.

11/29/2006 10:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually... you got your MISinformation doing your 26 page paper.

I'm glad my joke is where you decided to correct me. It highlights your holier-than-thou yet still-wrong-as-can-be aura.

And calling me an asshole was hurtful. Meanie.

11/29/2006 11:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No correction by Kitty. Then I assume that she's standing by her proposition. Sad.

12/01/2006 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

You can disagree with me, say I have faulty logic, fine. But having a problem with one comment I make to a blog doesn't give you the right (or enough information) to call me an idiot in that faux-subtle way that shows how much of your own self-esteem depends on belittling other people.

And I'm not providing a correction, because I wasn't summing up the entire history of Scotland. I was commenting on a specific action in a specific period of time.

12/02/2006 02:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home