A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Women are complicated

This blog post is an exercise in deciphering women. If you're reading this, you are required to participate. It won't take more than a minute.

I'm going to play out a short scenario for you, then you will post your response to it in the comments, and after you do that you can read my response.


A girl walks up to the guy she is currently seeing. He smiles, kisses her, and asks, "Why do you look so pretty today?"

Now, here's the question. Was that a compliment, or an insult?

------------------------------------------------------
DO NOT READ PAST HERE UNTIL YOU RESPOND
------------------------------------------------------

I say that it is a compliment. The only argument one could raise is that telling a girl she looks pretty today infers that she's not normally pretty, but that's not what the guy did (and even then, that's a weak and bitchy argument, just take the damn compliment). He said why did she look so pretty today, inferring that she is pretty every day but exceptionally pretty on this day.

10 Comments:

Blogger Brook Taylor said...

I would take that as a compliment...but things can have different meanings to women depending on what day it is. If she was having a bad day, or tired, or PMSing (I can use that last one since I'm a chick, but I wouldn't recommend you throwing that one out there), it might have struck her wrong. But if she's a decent and sane human being, she should snap out of it quickly and realise that you (er...he) really did mean well.

11/08/2006 04:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It depends on how the phrase was conjured. If I were the "man" in question, I would say it in a playful tone that would pronounce it to be more on the compliment side. There is no reason that the statement should not be taken as a compliment. If it was said more like, "Why do you look beautiful today?" then perhaps that would be negative. But, by graciously adding in the term "so" it changes the meaning to something more pleasant, an extension of her previous beauty.

11/08/2006 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger Billy Jones said...

Speaking as someone who is probably old enough to be your father--- I haven't a clue. Good luck with the ladies, they are a confusing lot for us men to figure out.

One thing I do understand is their concepts of literal and figurative are somehow different than men.

I know, I know, I'm not any help, I'll go away now.

11/08/2006 11:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in guy talk that's a compliment

it also causes an immediate bitch response from the girl

11/09/2006 02:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would agre with peavey, inflection and tone has a great effect on the interpretation of this, but as a male, I generally would interpret this in a complimentary fashion.

"Woman are meant to be loved, not to be understood." ~Oscar Wilde

11/09/2006 01:32:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Lowrance said...

Don't date anyone that would seriously consider that an insult. They've got problems you can't fix.

11/09/2006 03:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely a compliment. i hope she saw it that way.

11/10/2006 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a compliment, hands down.

11/10/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

My gut reaction is compliment. But if Chris said that to me, I'd be likely to pick on him about it - "What, you mean I'm not pretty every other day?" But I'd know what he meant.

11/12/2006 12:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

compliment

11/15/2006 02:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home