A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Friday, August 11, 2006

New Cheap Eats

Jack's Corner markets itself as a Mediterranean deli, and that's probably the most accurate description for its style of food. But that still doesn't stop everyone from calling this gyro and falafel shop "the Greek place."

As a college student, the only Greek I'm normally exposed to involves popped collars and keg beer. I had nowhere to go but up during my visit to Jack's Corner.

The inside of Jack's Corner isn't heavily decorated with overseas memorabilia, but foreign music sets the scene well enough. The television played a station I couldn't seem to understand because, as it turns out, I don't speak Greek. And because of that I also technically can't prove they were speaking Greek. It could have been any number of languages I don't speak, or they may have just been mumbling English.

I moved on from not understanding the television to not understanding the menu, a much more disconcerting position to be in. It's not that the menu is especially complicated; each item is more or less explained. (If you're wondering what hummus is, it's a "chickpea dip made with tahini, lemon and garlic.") Needless to say, I was unfamiliar with most of the items on the menu: Mujaddara, Swish Tawook and Tzatziki. So I did what I always do when confronted with a menu I don't understand: point and hope.

Full column

Jack's Corner was by far the best place I've covered for Cheap Eats so far. Anyone have any suggestions for the next column?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home