A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Failure to Communicate: 'Never getting laid again'

Before writing this column, I had to consider the earnest possibility that I won't get another date for the rest of college.

"You're never getting laid again, that's for sure," my friend Jamie remarked after I told her my topic. "Is it worth it?"

Maybe, maybe not, but I've always enjoyed the adventure of making bad decisions. Time will tell, and I'll move far away from Greensboro sooner or later. Somewhere with no Internet if need be, where no one can access this column online. Like Kansas.

As I sipped my first cup of the night at Tate Street Coffee, Jamie unfolded a torn-out magazine page and handed it to me: an article from March's issue of Details called "Living in the Pro-Life Closet." It explained how, though men identify as pro-choice almost as often as women, some of us don't seem to fit the criteria. The most common divergence from the standard pro-choice stance is the issue of husband notification.

"Can you believe that?" Jamie asked.

I took a bit too long while considering my answer and Jamie's jaw began to drop. Unpleased, she was.

Full column here

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. Like 3/5 of that was introductory fluff.

9/26/2006 10:32:00 AM  
Blogger Chris Lowrance said...

Wow, Luke. I'm sorry, but if Anonymous thinks your writing is crap, I can't argue with him. There's just so much weight behind his opinions. Anonymous IS an expert in the field, after all.

9/26/2006 08:16:00 PM  
Blogger Joe Killian said...

The only reason I can't really back spousal notification?

I've known too many women in horribly abusive marriages in which that would be a really, really bad idea.

I know someone who helps run a women's shelter where, so often it's sort of scary, they'll end up housing women who got pregnant and were beaten so severely by their husbands for it (because, you know, it's her fault) that they lost the baby before a decision could be made about whether to keep it.

I'm imagining these women trying to make the decision to abort a child rather than bring it into this situation...which in itself is an ugly decision to have to make about which we could engage in endless debate...and that's where I just can't back making it illegal for women not to tell their husbands.

9/26/2006 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Luke McIntyre said...

That's why I'm against making it a law, but I also don't think that a majority of those 79% of guys are for making it a law either. They just want to be included in the decision that affects their life as well. Of course, the majority of guys aren't cowards who have to abuse women.

9/27/2006 07:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home