A penguin and a polar bear are sitting on an iceberg. The penguin yells, "No Soap Radio!" They both jump in the water.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Wall of Death

If you want to get a vague impression of what standing near the stage at Ozzfest is like, watch this video. It takes a minute to get to the point, but wait for it...wait for it...exactly.

Ozzfest - Raleigh - August 9

Ozzy, System Of A Down, Disturbed, Unearth, Hatebreed, Lacuna Coil, Atreyu, Bleeding Through, Norma Jean and more. I'm going, and yes I admit I've only heard of 4 of those bands.

But if I get sucked into a mosh pit someone is getting stabbed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brook Taylor said...

Dude, let me just tell you...I was at the very front, right up against the barricade at last year's Ozzfest....and it really *was* that fucking insane. Those dudes were doing all that moshing right behind us, so my ribs were digging into that metal barricade. It was almost suffocating.

There's one awesome thing about being a chick at the front, though. The security guards really watch out for you (not to mention give you free shit), and so do the nice dudes around you. My friend Joey kept pushing my head down and catching all those crowd surfers (assholes) so they didn't fall on me. I only got kicked in the head once...and since I was at the front, that is quite exceptional.

3/28/2006 08:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great when getting kicked in the head only one time is a good thing? I think I may be convinced. I'm fucking there.

Rahsaan

3/29/2006 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Joe Killian said...

Luke:

Being in a mosh pit is all right. At a punk/hardcore show. At a metal show it's just a death wish. These people are actually too dumb to mosh properly -- and yes, there is a proper way.

I speak from experience here. Having been sucked into mosh pits at Dropkick Murphys, Bouncing Souls, Madball, Forced Reality, Toe-to-Toe, two Warped Tours and probably a half-dozen other punk shows I never got hurt and never saw anyone get hurt.

I've only been to three shows where there was even one metal act on the bill. The minumum number of people who were hurt so badly they had to be carried out of the show at each of those: two.

I don't think it's a coincidence. I'd much sooner trust I'm not going to get head-butted or tripped and stomped on at a show full of people who buy Fugazi records than people who buy Limp Bizkit records.

4/01/2006 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home